- Hodges R.J., Bennett B., Bernard M. and Rembold F. (2013). Tackling postharvest cereal losses in sub-Saharan Africa. Rural21, 1, 16-18.
- Hodges R.J., Buzby J.C. and Bennett B. (2010). Postharvest losses and waste in developed and less developed countries: opportunities to improve resource use. The Journal of Agricultural Science 149 (S1), 37-45.
- Hodges R.J. and Stathers T.E (2013). Facing the food crisis: how African smallholders can reduce postharvest cereal losses by supplying better quality grain. Outlooks on pest management, October 2013, 217-221.
- Stathers T., Lamboll R. and Mvumi B.M. (2013) Postharvest agriculture in a changing climate. Rural21, 1, 12-14.
- Stathers, Tanya, Lamboll, Richard and Mvumi, Brighton M. (2013) Postharvest agriculture in changing climates: Its importance to African smallholder farmers. Food Security, 5 (3). pp. 361-392. Item not available online.
- Tyler, P.S. and Boxall, R.A. (1984) Post harvest loss reduction programmes: A decade of activities - what consequences? Tropical Stored Products Information, 50. pp. 4-13.
- World Bank/Natural Resources Institute (2011) Missing Food: The case of postharvest grain losses in Sub-Saharan Africa. World Bank, Report number 60371-AFR, pp. 96.
Loss assessment methodology
- Adams, J.M. (1976) A guide to the objective and reliable estimation of food losses in small scale farmer storage.Tropical Stored Products Information, 32. pp. 5-12.
- Adams, J.M. and Harman, G.W. (1977) The evaluation of losses in maize stored on a selection of small farms in Zambia with particular reference to the development of methodology. Report of the Tropical Products Institute G109, pp. 149.
- Boxall, R.A. (1986) A critical review of the methodology for assessing farm-level grain losses after harvest. Report of the Tropical Development and Research Institute, G191, pp. 139.
- Boxall, R.A. (1987) A bibliography on post-harvest losses in cereals and pulses with particular reference to tropical and subtropical countries: Report of the Tropical Development and Research Institute, Supplement to G110 (G197), pp. 49.
- Compton, J.A.F., Wright, M., Gay, C. and Stabrawa, A. (1992) A rapid method for loss assessment in stored maize and dried cassava. Natural Resources Institute, Chatham, Kent, UK. Interim report for project R5103.
- Compton, Julia A.F., Ofosu, Anthony, Magrath, Priscilla A., Motte, Felix F., Acquaye, Kenneth, Addo, Samuel and Boxall, Robin A. (1998) Rapid assessment methods for small farm storage surveys. In: Post-Harvest Technology and Commodity Marketing: Proceedings of a postharvest Conference - 2 Nov to 1 Dec 1995, Accra, Ghana. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Nigeria, pp. 187-198. ISBN 978-131-111-8
- Compton, Julia A.F., Floyd, Sian, Ofosu, Anthony and Agbo, Blaise (1998) The modified count and weigh method: An improved procedure for assessing weight loss in stored maize cobs. Journal of Stored Products Research, 34 (4). pp. 277-285. Item not available online.
- Compton, J.A.F. and Sherington, J. (1999) Rapid assessment methods for stored maize cobs: weight losses due to insect pests. Journal of Stored Products Research, 35 (1). pp. 77-87. Item not available online.
- Mdangi, M., Mulungu, L.S., Massawe, A.W., Eiseb, S., Tutjavi, V., Kirsten, F., Mahlaba, T., Malebane, P., Maltitz, E.V., Monadjem, A., Dlamini, N., Makundi, R.H. and Belmain S.R. (2013) Assessment of rodent damage to stored maize (Zea mays L.) on smallholder farms in Tanzania. International Journal of Pest Management, 59 (1), 55-62.
Loss estimation (physical)
- Boxall, R.A., La Gra, J., Martinez, E. and Martinez, J. (1981) Post harvest losses of rice in the Dominican Republic. Tropical Stored Products Information, 42, pp. 5-10.
- Boxall, R.A. and Gillett, R. (1982) Farm level storage losses in Eastern Nepal. Tropical Products Institute, Report G157.
- Boxall, R.A. and Gillett, R. (1984) Farm level storage losses in Eastern Nepal. Tropical Stored Products Information, 50. pp. 20-25.
- Boxall, Robin (1998) Grains post-harvest loss assessment in Ethiopia. Final report. Project No. T0725 (NRI Report No. 2377).
- Golob, P. (1981) A practical assessment of food losses sustained during storage by smallholder farmers in the Shire Valley Agricultural Development Project Area of Malawi 1978/79. Tropical Products Institute, Report G154, pp. 47.
Loss estimation (quality)
- Compton, J.A.F., Floyd, S., Magrath, P.A., Addo, S., Gbedevi, S.R., Agbo, B., Bokor, G., Amekupe, S., Motey, Z., Penni, H. and Kumi, S. (1998) Involving grain traders in determining the effect of post-harvest insect damage on the price of maize in African markets. Crop Protection, 17 (6). pp. 483-489. Item not available online.
Larger grain borer (Prostephanus truncatus)
- Dick, Kenneth (1988) A review of insect infestation of maize in farm storage in Africa with special reference to the ecology and control of Prostephanus truncatus. Natural Resources Institute, Bulletin No. 18. Pp. 42.
- Boxall, R.A. (2002) Damage and loss caused by the Larger Grain Borer Prostephanus truncatus. Integrated Pest Management Reviews, 7 (2). pp. 105-121. ISSN 1353-5226 (Print), 1572-9745 (Online). Item not available online.
- Golob, P. (2002) Chemical, physical and cultural control of Prostephanus truncatus. Integrated Pest Management Reviews, 7 (4) pp. 245-277. Item not available online.
- Hodges R.J. (1986) The biology and control of Prostephanus truncatus (Horn) (Coleoptera: Bostrichidae)- A destructive pest with an increasing range. Journal of Stored Products Research, 22 (1), 1-14.
- Hodges, R.J. (2002) Detection and monitoring of larger grain borer, Prostephanus truncatus (Horn) (Coleoptera: Bostrichidae). Integrated Pest Management Reviews, 7 (4). pp. 223-243.
- Tyler, P.S. and Hodges, R.J. (2002) Phytosanitary measures against larger grain borer, Prostephanus truncatus (Horn) (Coleoptera: Bostrichidae), in international trade. Integrated Pest Management Reviews, 7 (4). pp. 279-289.
Stock protection and grain storage
- Boxall, Robin, Golob, Peter and Taylor, Robert (1997) Pest management in farm granaries: with special reference to Africa. Natural Resources Institute, Chatham UK, pp. 57.
- Belmain, S.R., Amoah, B.A., Nyirenda, S.P., Kamanula, J.F. and Stevenson, P.C. (2012) Highly variable insect control efficacy of Tephrosia vogelii chemotypes. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 60(40): 10055–10063.
- Dales, M.J. (1994) Controlling insect pests of stored products using insect growth regulators and insecticides of microbial origin. Natural Resources Institute, Bulletin 64, pp. 58.
- Dales, M.J. (1996) A review of plant materials used for controlling insect pests of stored products. Natural Resources Institute, Bulletin 65, pp. 84.
- Friendship, C.A.R. and Compton, J.A.F. (1991) Bag or bulk? A decision-making checklist. Natural Resources Institute, Bulletin No. 45. Pp. 19.
- Golob, P. (1977) Mixing insecticide powders with grain for storage. Tropical Products Institute, UK. Rural Technology Guide 3, pp. 13.
- Hindmarsh, P.S. and McFarlane, J.A. (1983) A programmed approach to food storage improvements. Tropical Stored Products Information, 46. pp. 3-9.
- McFarlane, J.A. (1989) Guidelines for pest management research to reduce stored food losses caused by insects and mites. Overseas Development Natural Resources Institute, Chatham, UK, Bulletin No. 22, pp. 59.
- Sola, P., Mvumi, B.M., Ogendo, J.O., Mponda, O., Kamanula, J.F., Nyirenda, S.P., Belmain, S.R. and Stevenson, P.C. (2014) Botanical pesticide production, trade and regulatory mechanisms in sub-Saharan Africa: making a case for plant-based pesticidal products. Food Security, 6 (3). pp. 369-384. ISSN 1876-4517 (Print), 1876-4525 (Online) Item availability restricted.
- Stathers, T.E., Chigariro, J., Mudiwa, M., Mvumi, B.M. and Golob, P. (2002) Small-scale farmer perceptions of diatomaceous earth products as potential stored grain protectants in Zimbabwe. Crop Protection, 21 (10), pp. 1049-1060. Item not available online
- Stathers, T.E., Riwa, W., Mvumi, B.M., Mosha, R., Kitandu, L., Mngara, K., Kaoneka, B. and Morris, M. (2008) Do diatomaceous earths have potential as grain protectants for small-holder farmers in sub-Saharan Africa? The case of Tanzania. Crop Protection, 27 (1), pp. 44-70. ISSN 0261-2194 Item not available online.
- Wright, M. and Tyler, P. (1994) Traditional seed-saving practices in Northern Ghana and Central Malawi. Chatham UK, Report 2102(S), pp. 55.
Training for grain postharvest handling and storage
- Hodges R.J. and Stathers T.E. (2012) Training manual for improving grain postharvest handling and storage. UN World Food Programme, pp. 216.
APHLIS (African Postharvest Losses Information System)
- Hodges R., Bernard M. and Rembold F. (2014). APHLIS - Postharvest cereal losses in Sub-Saharan Africa, their estimation, assessment and reduction. European Commission, Joint Research Centre Technical Reports, EUR 26897. pp. 160
- Rembold F., Hodges R., Bernard M. and Leo O. (2011). The African Postharvest Losses Information System. Publications Office of the European Union, EUR Scientific and Technical Research Series – ISSN 1018-5593. Pp 72